NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WZTV) —As unemployment has reached a new high across the United States, Tennesseans are signing up for claims in the tens of thousands.
In just two weeks, the number of new unemployment claims skyrocketed by 92,000. This comes as unemployment in the U.S. has topped 6.6. million as layoffs accelerate due to the coronavirus.
The Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce said just last week, there were 94,492 new unemployment claims in the state. That's up from just 2,702 claims two weeks before and 39,096 claims the week before.
Data shows some of the hardest hit areas of unemployment include northern Middle Tennessee, the greater Memphis area and East Tennessee.
Number of new claims by area:
- Greater Memphis: 12,548
- Northwest Tennessee: 2,299
- Southwest Tennessee: 2,571
- Northern Middle Tennessee: 32,246
- Southern Middle Tennessee: 8,147
- Upper Cumberland: 3.295
- Southeast Tennessee: 9,309
- East Tennessee: 20,025
- Northeast Tennessee: 4,749
- West TN Mobile American Job Center: 30
- Middle TN Mobile American Job Center: 336
- East TN Mobile America Job Center: 41