NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WZTV) —UPDATED:
In the past few weeks, Tennessee's unemployment numbers haveskyrocketed to more than246,000.
Data shows some of the hardest hit areas of unemployment include northern Middle Tennessee, the greater Memphis area and East Tennessee.
Just over the past two weeks, tens of thousands people have successfully accessed the website, the Tennessee Department of Labor Spokesman Chris Cannon said.
However, at times the website has been reported to be sluggish. Cannon says the peak hours folks are trying to apply is from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
"Even with an enormous number of claimants logging on each day, the site continues to function properly, but its responsiveness can sometimes become sluggish during those hours," Cannon said in an email.
If it's possible, the state is encouraging Tennesseans toaccess the website during non-peak hoursto "have a more responsive experience with the site."
During this time of accelerated layoffs due to COVID-19, many companies are still hiring and looking to add to their workforce immediately.
Nashville, Murfreesboro VA Hospitals
- These VA hospitals are hiring in a wide array of positions, including nurses, pharmacists, doctors and more.
- Click here for a list of all jobs needed, here for a resource for registered nursesandhere for a resource for practical nurses
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Places like Vanderbilt University Medical Center are looking to add to their workforce as they're on the front lines in the pandemic.
- Nurses and nursing students can apply and text NURSE to 26232 to connect with a recruiter. Fill out the online application here.
- Home Depot is hiring 20 part-time and full-time seasonal positions at the Nashville Distribution Center in LaVergne, Tenn.
- Jobseekers can text JOBS to 52270 and receive a link to apply
- Click here for the application
- Dollar General says they plan to nearly double its normal hiring rate and add up to 50,000 employees by the end of April.
- The company has more than 16,300 stores in 45 states, and claims approximately 75 percent of the American population is within five miles of a Dollar General.
- Find more information here.
- CVS is looking to hire more than 50,000 full-time, part-time, and temporary employees.
- During the hiring process, the company plans to use virtual job fairs, virtual interviews, and virtual job tryouts. New employees are being sought out "immediately."
- Click here to search for CVS jobs.
- While experiencing "unprecedented levels of business," Kroger is searching for new workers.
- Both full and part-time jobs are available, and Tennessee stores are expediting the hiring process. Starting pay varies by position.
- Tennessee is home to 118 Kroger stores. The retail company currently has more than 21,000 associates in the state.
- Candidates can look for jobs and apply here.
- To keep up with the rising amount of orders, Amazon is hoping to hire 100,000 new employees nationwide.
- Full and part-time positions across the U.S. are available in fulfillment centers and the company's delivery network.
- Amazon said the new jobs are being added to meet the surge in demand.
- Those interested in applying can click here.
- Walmart is looking to hire 150,000 new employees by the end of May.
- The hiring announcement comes as the retail giant reports a major bump in demand due to coronavirus.
- Find more information here.
- Publix is seeking to hire thousands of associates by the end of March.
- The grocery chain is looking to fill positions in its stores and distribution centers.
- Anyone interested in working at Publix, can click here for more information.
- Amid the coronavirus pandemic, Domino's is hiring employees for full and part-time positions.
- The pizza chain needs drivers, customer service representatives, pizza makers, and management officials.
- Find a list of open positions and application information here.
- PepsiCo says they are quickly looking to make new temporary hires in the Nashville community.
- The company said the demand for consumer goods is at an all-time high throughout local communities.
- Interested job candidates can visit this link.
- Lowe's has been deemed an essential business and is hiring to help fill a need with upgraded demand.
- Lowe’s has 25 locations across Middle Tennessee and Southern Kentucky.
- Full-time, part time and seasonal positions are available. Applicants can visit here.
IQTalent Partners, Inc - Recruiting Firm Helping Unemployed
- This Nashville recruiting firm is offering free services to displaced Nashvillians due to the Nashville tornadoes or the Coronavirus.
- Click here for the website.
Recruiters at ManPower Group are looking to match candidates with current job openings. Apply here.
Two Men & a Truck
Two Men & a Truck is hiring movers, drivers, and sales reps at this time. Potential employees can apply here.
- GPS Hospitality, an Atlanta-based franchisee is seeking 45 Pizza Hut drivers in the Nashville/Clarksville area for immediate hire
- Click here or text "GPS" to 37872 to apply