I was yesterday years old when I found out that the term "Uncle Tom" meant STRENGTH.. perseverance.. RESILIENCE & a few more positive things. See in the Black community the term basically meant "sell out" a person who's purpose is to get as close to white people as they possibly can EVEN at the risk of their own people. Well just like most of my people I have used that term when describing "skin folk" that aint "kin folk" but NO MORE & HERE ARE 5 REASONS WHY
1) Uncle Tom was a man who refused to beat black women.
2) Uncle Tom was a man who refused to tell on other slaves.
3) Uncle tom was a man who would put cotton in other slaves’ bags at night, so that they wouldn’t get beat!
4) Uncle Tom was a man who helped 100 slaves get free long before the underground railroad.
5) Uncle Tom was a man, that once free, established the 1st Laborers school for other fugitive slaves!
Uncle Tom's name is Josiah Henson